Home Cadillac History Classified CLC Museum Club Links Contact Us C&W Newsletter Membership Merchandise Members Cars Member Profiles Past Events Upcoming Events

In 1895, a crew drilling for oil accidentally hit water, instead. The result was Bouton Lake, located on what is today Lakewood Country Club. It’s thought that Lakewood’s name is connected with Bouton Lake. The club was built in 1933 and, according to a local realtor, is the oldest public building in Lakewood. How fitting it is, then, that we display antique Cadillacs and La Salles there once a year. Because of rain in the early morning, our display was limited to about twenty cars. Many thanks to those who brought their old cars out. The rain did not prevent us from parking on the lawn, but we had to watch our step; there were some mud puddles under the clearing skies.

At about 11:45 we went inside to eat. Un­fortunately, the buffet table was not arranged for our eighty-plus members and guests to be able to get through it quickly, so our new direc­tor, Tom Musson, took command and got the buffet tables moved so that more people could serve themselves. That did the trick. I heard no complaints about the food. Some of the pastries had little black cars on them, in icing.

Our first guest speaker was Mr. “Bud” Davy, Jr. of Riverside. At the age of seven, he used to hang around the Cadillac dealership in Oak Park, Illinois. Not too many years later, Mr. Davy landed a job with GM in the Cadillac zone office. He was still taking some classes and was probably the only student on campus to have a new Cadillac demonstrator.

Mr. Davy was the number two man in charge of new car allocations in the zone, 1967-71. He had something to say about how the cash cows on four wheels were distributed to the dealers. Pretty soon he realized why he was being wined and dined in some of the best restaurants in Chicago by dealers who were twice his age: They wanted more product, espe­cially product with a good margin.

Davy went to work in the mid-seventies for one of his former customers, Fanning Cadillac, in Chicago. That was the neighbor and rival of a dealership where your editor worked. Accord­ing to Davy, 1976 was a banner year for profits at Cadillac dealerships; the Eldo convertible and Fleetwood Brougham were not given away.

Mr. Davy also explained the phenomenon of cars built with fenders or hoods of a different color: clerical error calling for pre-painted sheet metal parts of the wrong color. Thanks to Roger Lindquist for discovering Mr. Davy at his church.

Our second speaker was Mr. Jeff Hyman, who is British. Mr. Hyman got frustrated with inept appraisers and decided to do a better job of it. After six months of training in appraisal, and with a broad knowledge of British and European cars of the fifties, sixties and seven­ties, he became a professional car appraiser and importer. He now runs Classic Auto Appraisal (1-800-454-1313). A professional, independent appraisal is essential to getting top dollar from insurance companies in the event of loss or damage.

Mr. Hyman has imported 29 Rolls-Royces. One was a Phantom VI (the long wheelbase car) with the license plate T J BIG. It was Tom Jones’ car first, and it was burgundy over cream. The rear compartment was burgundy velour, while the driver’s compartment was black leather. It had right hand drive.

Our raffle was a little anti-climactic, fol­lowing Super-Lotto the night before, which ex­ceeded $190 million. Ed Cholakian was kind enough to provide many of our prizes, though. Some were T-shirts. Others were lapel pins and cash. About nine people were winners.

Three cars on the lawn were recognized in an attempt at conferring people’s choice awards. However, some of the ballots had been eaten during lunch, so hanging chads (the ones that dangle just enough) were counted instead, and our director improvised. Awards went to Mrs. Parrmno, Don Shadduck, and Paul Schinnerer. At that we adjourned for a chuckle and a last quick look at the cars.

 

 
 
Copyright © 2010
Date Last Updated: October 21, 2017
 
Copyright Notice:  Our website and all of its related pages including but not limited to content, software, code, graphics or other material contained or electronically distributed on this website is owned by us and is protected by copyrights, trade marks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws (“Intellectual Property”). The Intellectual Property is owned by Cadillac & LaSalle Club, CLCSoCal & other companies except where otherwise stated. Unauthorized use of any Intellectual Property without our express written consent is strictly prohibited.
 
Acts which are authorized are the viewing, storing of web pages on your computer for reference only, forwarding of web pages to third parties for reference and the printing of web pages for reference only. Unauthorized acts without express written consent are strictly prohibited.

Cadillac & LaSalle are registered trademarks of the Cadillac Motor Division of General Motors.  Any use of these trademarks are for point of reference to Cadillac & LaSalle or one of its particular products.  No copyright, trademark or sales mark infringement is intended or implied. CLCSoCal is a NON profit website expressly created for the Cadillac & LaSalle enthusiast.

Disclaimer:  This website contains general information & pictures and, although The Cadillac & LaSalle Club, Southern California Region endeavors to ensure that the content is accurate and up to date no representation or warranty, express or implied is made to its accuracy or completeness.  The Cadillac & LaSalle Club, Southern California Region disclaims liability for any loss, howsoever caused, arising directly or indirectly from reliance on the information on this website.  Any manufactures' numbers, names & descriptions used here are for reference purposes only.  It is not implied that any item or items listed are the products of such manufacturer.